Brunswick Square was constructed as part of the recreation grounds of the Foundling Hospital, an orphanage founded by the distinguished seaman Captain Thomas Coram in 1739. The square on the other side of what is now Coram’s Fields, Mecklenburgh Square also formed part of the grounds. Today Brunswick Square is open to the public as a garden. Near the centre of the garden is the finest example of a London Plane tree to be found anywhere in Camden. Brunswick Square was recently renovated with new railings, paths, park furniture, tree and landscape improvements.