The Barber-Surgeons’ Garden is one of 10 livery company gardens remaining in the City. There has been a garden on this spot since at least 1555. Its planting was influenced by herbalist John Gerrard, who was Master of the Surgeons’ Company in 1607. The present garden was begun in 1987 on a derelict bomb-site. It contains the remains of a bastion of the Roman fort (c. 300 AD), along with formal planting and a larger informal area. A highlight is the Barbers’ Company Herb Garden, with 45 small plots divided into four areas corresponding to different uses of herbs/medicinal plants. See www.barberscompany.org.uk.