Opposite the Old Vic, Emma Cons Garden commemorates the theatre’s benefactress. The Old Vic opened in 1818 and was managed by Emma Cons from 1880 until her death in 1912. The site opposite the theatre was bombed in WWII and was derelict until purchased by the LCC and opened as a public garden in 1958, laid out with trees, raised grass plots and seats.
By early C21st it was fairly derelict, with a burnt tree stump and broken brick planters. It was re-paved in 2003 and the poorly maintained brick planters opposite the Old Vic were removed. Since 2005 new landscaping has again taken place.