Lansdowne Circus was laid out in 1843-50 as part of speculative housing development, largely undertaken by John Snell. Development in this area accelerated after Vauxhall Bridge was constructed.
The layout of axial roads around the formal circus, numerous street trees, and detached, semi-detached and terraced housing has little changed since the mid C19th. The central garden enclosure was planted with grass and trees but appears not to have been accessible. Lambeth Borough Council compulsorily purchased the garden in 1951.