Larkhall Park includes a children’s play area and popular café. It has picnic and sitting areas as well as a small walled garden. Sports facilities include two multi-purpose ball game areas, a seasonal grass football pitch and changing facilities.
Larkhall Park owes its present name to the GLC; prior to 1967 it was known as Wandsworth Road Open Space. It has been suggested that ‘Lark Hall’ may have been a country house which later became the Lark Hall tavern and tea gardens, where the present Larkhall tavern stands.
Even though Larkhall Park is a fairly new park, it appears that it was first conceived around 1943. Lord Reith, who was the Minister of Works and Planning in 1941, asked the LCC to prepare a radical plan for London so that housing, transport and open spaces could be improved. The implementation of Larkhall Park was transferred from the GLC to Lambeth Council in 1971 and the construction of the present park began in 1974.