This square is the largest in London and the oldest in Camden – there has been public open space here since at least the 12th century. In the subsequent centuries it was used for duelling, jousting and occasional public executions. It was laid out formally in the 17th century and enclosed in 1735 under an Act of Parliament. The chequered past is little in evidence today as people lounge on the lawns and benches at lunchtimes while the more energetic play tennis or netball.
The Fields were used as a camp by the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War – a fact marked by one of the many monuments to be found in the square. Lincoln’s Inn Fields is staffed by both a gardener and an attendant.