Middle Temple Garden, formerly called the Lower Garden, is terraced in the north. In the southern half of the lawn is a large circular flower bed with sundial of 1719 in the centre, originally further south when there were two circular beds.
On this lawn is a statue of a boy holding a book erected in 1930 in memory of Charles Lamb. The lawns are bounded by occasional trees – almond, flowering cherry, ailanthus – and rise northwards to terraced bedding displays below Middle Temple Hall.
There is a notable herb garden close to the south of Middle Temple Hall, and a small bed to the west of the Hall contains among other plants the Roses of York and Lancaster.
The Middle Temple Gardens are open to the public for a few hours every weekday.