The parish of St Ann Blackfriars was established after the dissolution of the C13th Friary of the Dominicans or Black Friars, so called for the colour of their clothes. The Priory church, initially used as the parish church from 1544, was demolished in 1550 and subsequent complaints by local inhabitants deprived of a place of worship led to the building of St Ann Blackfriars in 1597.
It was built on the site known as Ireland Yard, once part of the Provincial’s Hall of the Priory. Part of the site of the nave of the Friary church became the burial ground of St Ann, the site now known as Church Entry. St Ann’s burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666 and was not rebuilt, the parish amalgamating with that of St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe and the church site became a burial ground. The two churchyards closed in 1849 and were later laid out as public gardens, largely paved, both raised and containing a number of tombstones.
The two churchyards closed in 1849 and since 1964 have been maintained by Corporation of London. Both gardens are raised above ground level; the Church Entry site has a brick wall with railings above and a gateway with steps leading to the garden with two plane trees, shrubs and seats and some paving, and a few gravestones along the boundary wall with Church Entry. Ireland Yard is an entirely paved area surrounded on three sides by buildings, with a number of gravestones along two sides, a few trees and seats and with remnants of rubble wall next to the entrance.