St John at Hackney Churchyard gardens is a green space at the heart of Hackney accessed from Lower Clapton Road, the Narrow way, Sutton Place and Morning Lane.
Rich in history, it was a burial ground for over 500 years and has been managed as a park since 1894. It has undergone many changes throughout its history, most recently in 2007 when it benefited from a £1.79 million HLF grant. It is now a well-loved, beautiful spot all year round.
Bordering on a busy shopping street, it is an ideal place for some peace and quiet or a gentle stroll. The children’s play area is perfect for families to enjoy some outdoor time together.
The park holds a Green Flag award. The awards are given to the best green spaces in the country and are awarded each year to make sure the quality of the green space remains high.