The purpose-built wing was designed by architects Hart and Waterhouse and opened in 1915, with an extension of 1938 designed by Gertrude Leverkus. Behind Stockwell Studios is a wildlife garden and community and arts education centre. There are beehives, a pond, tree house, orchard, bog garden, fern and mushroom area, and a kitchen garden in the walled garden.
Stockwell Studios have been based in the former Annie McCall Maternity Hospital since c.1987. The hospital originated as Clapham Maternity Hospital, which was founded in 1889, the 3rd hospital in Britain to be founded and run by women, and the 1st maternity hospital.